Songwriting 101

About 3 or 4 years ago, I had this wild dream of being able to write a grandiose love song that the whole world will know. So, me being me, I tried to write one. Needless to say, it sucked. Little did I know that in just 3 to 4 years, I would attempt to do the whole thing again -- and succeed, relatively.


I recently discovered songwriting, by accident. I was in a really emotional state and I did not know how else to be productive. I tried doing my projects and focus on academics, but all of those were to no avail. It was then that I noticed my forgotten guitar in the room where I was sitting and decided to play out some of my favorite tunes.

After a while, I got bored of strumming and mouthing words from songs that suddenly did not mean anything to me at all. You know how when you say a word over and over again it loses its meaning? Well, I realized that singing all of those songs made them lose their meaning to me. It was at that point that I realized I can just make my own. Armed with a pen and paper, I set out to write my first song.

After finishing the song, I immediately felt better. I realized that I had this avenue where I can convert my emotions into melody. For a while after that, I did not tell anyone about my new hobby (well, it did not stay secret for long).

Eventually, the song list grew until eventually, I made an entire album of 14 songs, complete with an intro and an outro.


At present, I continue to write. Sometimes, I can only get a verse or two out, or even just a chorus. Other times, I finish an entire song in less than 10 minutes. At the end of the day, I'm just really happy that I discovered this and that I'm doing something worthwhile with my time.

0 Comment