Goin' Country

I have been a little bit obsessed (understatement of the year) with country music during the past year.

There's just something about country music that is homey and warm.

If you could take a look on my spotify, you would see that most of the playlists I play are under country. (New Boots, Country Hits, Hot Country, etc.)

There's a whole lot of very underrated country artists out there that never reach the Philippine airwaves, and it's a shame that musical talent like theirs are wasted.


Among some of my favorite artists are:


1. Sam Hunt

The only way to describe Hunt's voice is smooth sandpaper. When you first listen to his voice, you would immediately notice the roughness and depth in his timbre. However, once you feast your ears on his glorious riffs and unexpected high notes, you'd realize that there's smoothness under all that roughness. His voice turns to liquid gold when hitting the bass notes, and his signature sing-talk is awesome af. 

Recommended songs: 

All songs from his debut album, Montevallo. (faves include Break Up in a Small Town, Take Your Time, Leave the Night On, Speakers)


Break Up In A Small Town


2. Old Dominion

I actually have yet to listen to Old Dominion's full album, but I've heard some songs that have quickly become my faves.

Recommended songs:

Wrong Turns

Snapback




3. Dan + Shay

This country duo is just top of the line. Shay Mooney's vocals are crazy. He can reach really high notes and swerve onto the low ones. Their style is a mix of Rascal Flatts country, infused with pop and rock elements.

Recommended songs:

From the Ground Up

Nothin' Like You

19 You + Me

4. Kacey Musgraves

Kacey Musgraves has been in the scene for quite a while now, but only in the background. Lately, her album Pageant Material made me realize that her music was a hidden gem in country music.

Recommended songs:

Late to the Party


5. Chris Stapleton

One word -- wow. Chris Stapleton is an epitome of country music. Everything about his music just screams 'country'. He has magnificent riffs and runs, accompanied by his rough vocals.

Recommended songs:

Tennessee Whiskey

Parachute


6. Tim McGraw

Yes, Tim effin' McGraw. Millenials might know him as a song by Taylor Swift, but he's much much much more than that. He's literally a country legend. The good thing about his music is that he continues on making heartfelt songs, even until now.

Recommended songs:

Live Like You Were Dying

Humble and Kind


7. Eric Church

Ever since I listened to Church's album Chief, I never looked back again. 'Chief' won the Album of the Year Award in the Academy of Country Music Awards 2012, and for good reasons. His song 'Springsteen' just gives me life. His recent singles also speak volumes about his songwriting (Mr. Misunderstood, etc.).

Recommended Songs:

Springsteen


8. Chris Young

I'm actually not very familiar with his songs, but his recent singles are very well-made. His vocals are amazing!

Recommended songs:

Think of You (feat. Cassadee Pope)


9. Kelsea Ballerini

I have heard some opinions that Kelsea Ballerini is the 'next Taylor Swift', but I beg to disagree. I'm not saying it isn't an honor to be put in the same light as Ms. Swift, but Ballerini showcases a different talent than Taylor. One might draw many similarities between the two, for example, both are incredible singer-songwriters, both are blondes, both have stunning blue eyes, both are extremely gorgeous, but at the end of the day, Ballerini's music is different than how Swift made hers. Ultimately, her music is a minefield of glorious country goodness.

Recommended songs:

Peter Pan

Dibs


10. Luke Bryan

Luke Bryan is one of those 'love-them-because-they're-gorgeous-country-singers' country singers, but for very good reasons. His vocal quality is unlike any other, and his songs are catchy af.

Recommended songs:

Play It Again

Strip It Down


11. Zac Brown Band

Probably one of the only few country musicians infused into the indie/folk genre, this group's music is unique, very folk, and overall just amazing. Zac Brown Band makes me very hopeful for the next generation of country music.

Recommended songs:

Loving You Easy

Castaway


12. Rascal Flatts

I don't think I can say anything anymore about this country genius that is Rascal Flatts. Arguably one of the most famous country artists ever, Rascal Flatts dominated the country scene with the front lead's impressive vocals. From riffs and high notes to ad libs and soul, there is nothing that can compare to Rascal Flatts.

Recommended songs:

Life Is A Highway

Bless the Broken Road


13. Dierks Bentley

Dierks Bentley is one of the artists in country music that really brought me into everything country. I first heard his song 'Drunk on a Plane' on the radio, and from that moment, I knew I had to know everything about this artist. Since then, I have followed his musical career, including listening to his albums.

Recommended songs:

Everything from his album 'Riser' (especially Riser, Say You Do, Drunk on a Plane, and I Hold On)

Different For Girls (feat. Elle King)


14. Brett Eldredge

Brett. Eldredge. is. king. His vocals are stunning, and his songs come from a deep place in his heart. Everything about him is just amazing. You're gonna need to listen to his songs for yourself to see what I mean.

Recommended songs:

Lose My Mind

Raymond

Wanna Be That Song


15. Cale Dodds

Dodds is relatively new to the scene, and I only discovered him while browsing my 'New Boots' spotify playlist. I almost skipped until I heard his voice. Smooth af. I don't know where his music will lead, but for now, I hope he just keep doing what he's doing.

Recommended songs:

People Watching

16. Steve Moakler

Last but definitely not the least, is Steve Moakler. Although new to the country scene, that didn't stop him from getting his unique music out for the world. His music is comparable to Chris Stapleton's, with inspiration from 80's and 90's country music. Just two seconds from his song 'Love Drunk' and I'm already hooked into his music forever.

Recommended songs:

Love Drunk

Suitcase



Still, there are countless other country artists that I commend for their talent. I just picked the first 16 off my head, since I don't think we'll stop by 40. 

It's really sad that most people nowadays only picture Taylor Swift when talking about country music. Sure, she made a very huge impact in the genre, and even transitioned into pop music, as well as managed to be a worldwide household name -- but it also overshadowed all of the other country talents the world (or Nashville, tbh) has to offer. 

Also, it's heartbreaking when people tell me that the country scene now only includes WGWG (white guys with guitars) who only sing bro-country songs, when in fact, there are a whole lot of songs that show musical depth, with lyrics and themes ranging from love, memory, tragedy, longing, and pain. Not to mention the fact that there are dozens of ladies slaying in the country scene (I'm looking at you, Carrie Underwood!). 

I guess what I've been trying to say is that country music is such a beautiful, beautiful genre that has since been connoted with stereotypes. Country isn't your typical 'cowboy genre', there's a whole lot more than meets the eye.

-Wesley

Disclaimer: The photos included above aren't mine. (ctto)

0 Comment